What is an orgasm? And what are its benefits? Here's the answer
Orgasm has many benefits to physical and psychological health, so what is orgasm? And what is its effect? Here is the most important information in the article.
Orgasm is an outlet for the sexual tension that accumulates during sex, which is the involuntary and successive contraction and contraction of muscles in the pelvic area, which makes the male and female feel orgasm and enjoyment.
Male orgasm is different from female orgasm, and they both feel it in different ways.
Many biochemical and physiological factors influence this difference between men and women, which is reflected in the time taken to reach this stage and its severity.
Stages of puberty to orgasm
In the beginning, the common belief was that an orgasm begins when blood flows to the genital area, and therefore this leads to a feeling of sexual arousal, and after a certain period of time this leads to an orgasm, which in turn leads to a kind of relief, given that the amount of blood that flow into the genital area decreases.
Today, it is believed that lust stimulates sexual arousal and does not constitute an orgasm, as the orgasm is at the end of sexual arousal, and it is the end of the sexual relationship.
Orgasm is related to hormones
After reaching orgasm comes the stage of non-arousal, which is characterized by the lack of reaction to sexual stimulation for a certain period of time.
This stage relates to the hormones that were secreted during orgasm, as the main hormones that are secreted during orgasm are:
The hormone prolactin is the main cause of a period of lack of arousal in men, where prolactin plays a role in all of the following:
- Regulating sexual desire.
- mood swings
- Feeling anxious and depressed.
- The high level of prolactin in women also has a clear role in causing delayed pregnancy.
It was found that drugs that inhibit the secretion of prolactin allow a man to reach orgasm several times and consecutively, but this topic has not been proven yet and is still under research.
The level of oxytocin, known as the love hormone, rises during orgasm, and this hormone is very important for orgasm in women, in addition to the female hormone estrogen, which contributes to strengthening the bonds of the relationship and bonds between spouses.
In men, the effect of oxytocin is less noticeable. As their testosterone is the dominant hormone.
From this difference, the effect of sexual relations on the male and female is realized. The bonding that the female feels is faster than that felt by the male, due to hormones.
Many other substances are secreted during an orgasm, such as: endorphins, which are substances that affect the nervous system, relieve intercourse pain and improve the psychological state.
It is worth noting that endorphins are also secreted in the following cases:
- Eat food, especially chocolate.
Health benefits of orgasm
Orgasm and sex in general, are activities that involve many systems and organs in the body.
The health benefits of orgasm are as follows:
- Reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, as having sex is associated with a lower risk of a heart attack or stroke.
- Reducing the feeling of pain, as during sex the body stops feeling pain, due to the change of hormones.
- Protection from cancer, it has been found that intercourse contributes to reducing the risk of developing each of the following types of cancer:
- Prostate cancer in men.
- Cervical cancer in women.
- Feeling relaxed and relieved of tension and nervousness.
- Helping improve sleep quality, as in men the effect is faster, but the calming effect of an orgasm in women also gives them a deeper sleep.
- Increasing calorie burning. Physical activity during sex burns about 200 calories, depending on the intensity and duration of the orgasm.